Mission Statement: “Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. By transforming children’s lives now, we change the course of their future and ours.”
Taking a stand for others is crucial in promoting peace and ensuring safety, but taking a stand for children is critical to change their futures and make sure they lead a healthy and safe life. Save the Children is an NGO that works to do just that. They want to help transform children’s lives to create a hopeful future for each individual. Save the Children is currently taking action in 120 countries, including the United States. This broad outreach has effected the lives of over 143 million children. This organization does not cover just one aspect of their lives, but works to improve every single aspect. From early childhood development, to education, to gifts, to encouraging sponsorship, Save the Children covers all of the bases to create a positive outlook for each child.
A really fantastic quality of Save the Children, is that they take extra measures for aid when a disaster strikes. Whether it be a natural disaster or a war, they work to provide emergency aid when it is needed.
This organization not only works for children in need, but also fight to create more rights for the youth. They do this by enforcing the UN Declaration of the Rights of the Child. This declaration is as follows:
- “The child must be given the means requisite for its normal development, both materially and spiritually.
- The child that is hungry must be fed, the child that is sick must be nursed, the child that is backward must be helped, the delinquent child must be reclaimed, and the orphan and the waif must be sheltered and succored.
- The child must be the first to receive relief in times of distress.
- The child must be put in a position to earn a livelihood, and must be protected against every form of exploitation.
- The child must be brought up in the consciousness that its talents must be devoted to the service of its fellow men.”
What you can do:
-Sponsor a child
-Give gifts…prices range from $1 to $1000+
-Participate in campaigns
Visit http://www.savethechildren.org to learn more.